Possible penalties for violent crimes could include life in prison without the possibility of parole. If convicted, your freedom will be at risk, your future opportunities will diminish, and your reputation will be ruined. When the stakes are high, you’ll need the strength, experience, and tenacity of a criminal defense law firm with a proven track record of success.
At Varghese & Associates, we fight vigorously to preserve our clients’ futures and defend their rights. We have prevailed in high-stakes criminal cases and helped many of our clients walk away with dismissals and acquittals, and even avoid arrest. Our goal is to help you move forward from your case with the best possible result so you can continue your life without the stigma of a criminal conviction. From the investigations all the way to a trial, you can count on us to fight for you at every juncture.
Our NYC criminal defense attorneys can provide effective defense for individuals accused of all types of violent crimes, including:
- Assault. If you intentionally injure someone else, the District Attorney may charge you with assault. Nevertheless, we can often successfully argue self-defense as a legitimate cause for your actions. Assault charges range from misdemeanors to violent felonies, depending on whether weapons were involved and how serious were the injuries.
- Gang Assault. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to be in a gang to be charged with gang assault (a felony). For example, if you’re at a ballgame and someone starts a fight with your friends, and if you and your friends then injure someone, you could all be charged with gang assault.
- Robbery and Burglary. Stealing by force while displaying a weapon, aka Robbery, is a felony that can result in a severe prison sentence. If you get into a fight at a bar or in a shopping mall, you can be charged with Burglary, and face 7 years’ prison. In another context, simply on a prosecutor’s whim, a shoplifting charge can be elevated to a burglary charge. We can defend you effectively and strategically on any of these charges.
- Attempted Murder. If you get into a domestic dispute or even a bar fight, and cause injury to someone, such that he or she almost dies, prosecutors can charge you with attempted murder. We have successfully defended many clients accused of this crime.
- Forcible Rape. Forcing another person into sexual intercourse can be charged as rape. The charges can elevate if the alleged victim is a minor or incapable of consent due to a mental health issue.
- Murder/Homicide. Being accused of a crime that involves the death of someone else is the most serious of criminal offenses.Whether you have been accused of murder, homicide or manslaughter, having an attorney on your side from the very beginning is a must.
Accused of a Violent Crime?
Before speaking to law enforcement officials, contact a criminal defense attorney immediately. We can advise you of your rights and help you navigate the intricate criminal process while finding effective and creative defenses to your accusations.
Firm founder Vinoo Varghese is a prominent criminal defense attorney with a reputation for excellence. His legal savvy, experience, and dedication to his clients have earned him inclusion into the list of Super Lawyers® (2015, 2016) and the National Trial Lawyers: Top 100.
Attorney Varghese also brings an insider’s perspective of the criminal justice system from his time as a New York prosecutor for six years. A veteran of many criminal cases and trials from both sides of the court, he is well equipped to represent clients facing all types of criminal accusations. His ability to fight for his clients—and consistently win—sets him apart as one of the elite criminal defense lawyers in Manhattan and NYC.