NEW YORK CITY AND NATIONWIDE FEDERAL CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEYS
Federal crimes represent legal violations that the criminal justice system consider to be particularly damaging or heinous. Investigations into federal crimes and how criminal procedures surrounding them are handled can vary significantly from what might be experienced in a state court for a state-level crime. If you have been accused of a federal crime in New York, a prosecution backed by the federal government will oppose you with the intention of landing a conviction paired by the heaviest of sentencing requirements. You must be prepared to fight back with even more force.
Varghese & Associates, P.C. can provide you with the strength and fortitude required in a federal case. Our New York federal criminal defense lawyers have built a reputation throughout the state and the country for being tireless defenders of the accused in the most difficult of situations and complex of trials.
Our firm and founder, Vinoo Varghese, stands out from others due to:
- 2015 & 2016 Super Lawyers® Rising Stars selection (given to only 2.5% of lawyers)
- Named as a Top 100 New York Lawyer by National Trial Lawyers, 2014-2018
- Experience as a former prosecutor gives him unique insight into the minds of his opponents
- Long list of noteworthy successes, including a victory over the IRS, who win 99.9% of their cases
When you are charged with a federal crime, your future, livelihood and finances hang in the balance. Do not take a chance by retaining legal counsel you are not sure you can trust. Contact our federal criminal defense lawyers today to get started.
TYPES OF FEDERAL CRIMES
Understanding how the United States criminal code determines what constitutes a federal crime can help you prepare for the criminal process to come.
Examples of crimes that can trigger federal prosecution include:
- White collar crimes: Federal white collar crimes are typically carried out in a professional, business, or office setting, which gives this criminal category its namesake. White collar crimes are also not violent in nature but instead involve using some sort of deception to steal assets, unlawfully gain benefits, or deprive another party. Fraud, in its various forms, comprises many white collar crime charges.
- Tax evasion: Using unlawful means to avoid paying taxes or pay a reduced amount to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can constitute tax evasion. As the IRS is an agency of the federal government, tax evasion is a federal crime, regardless of the amount of unpaid tax money in question.
- Sex crimes: Many sex crimes involving violent acts or sexual acts with minors are both felonies and federal crimes. In addition to typical penalties, such as incarceration and steep fines, a sex crime conviction of any sort in New York can include mandatory registration to a national registry as mandated by the Sex Offender Registration Act (SORA).
WITHSTANDING FEDERAL INVESTIGATIONS & TRIALS
A state-level criminal violation will garner attention from state-level resources, such as the sheriff and police department. A federal crime will most likely trigger an investigation from one or more federal agencies. This gives the prosecution access to vast resources and powers to use against the accused.
Federal agencies that could be invested in your trial and conviction are:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
Federal trials will be led by a federal prosecutor, a United States District Attorney. In New York, there are four districts: Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western. Although our federal criminal defense lawyers are headquartered in Manhattan, along Wall Street, we are capable of taking and defending federal criminal cases throughout the state and districts.
RETAIN NATIONALLY-RECOGNIZED DEFENSE – (212) 529-3925
Varghese & Associates, P.C. is renowned for many things, but the groundwork of our reputation lies in never backing down from a fight, no matter how difficult. Our Manhattan federal criminal defense lawyers are ready and willing to hear your case. Contact us today to discuss your charges and legal options with a team of highly-experienced professionals.
I HAVE BEEN CHARGED FOR A FEDERAL CRIME – WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
Many people are only familiar with the concepts of misdemeanor crimes and felony crimes, as these are most often portrayed in the media and entertainment industries. However, crimes can also be sorted by state-level and federal crimes. If a Congressional law criminalizes an activity, it is considered a federal crime. This sort of legislation is usually reserved for violations considered to be widely harmful, or those that concern national or international parties.